Having made his Asian Le Mans Series debut last season, Nobu Yamanaka is returning to the series with Eurasia Motorsport for the 2019-20 campaign. Now with considerably more experience, Nobu will race a new-look car to be entered into the LMP2 Pro category.
Nobu is keen to demonstrate through his race program the strong bond between the Japanese’s long-standing business relationships with the country of New Zealand – where he still continues to trade – the many friends he has made along the way, and the crossover through his business interests to support New Zealand racing drivers both at home, in Japan, and globally over the last two decades.
This led to the choice to recreate ‘Black Beauty’ the New Zealand entry into the A1GP Championship which Nobu’s company was proud to support in 2005/6. Now Nobu’s own international motorsport adventure sees his Ligier JSP 217 Asian Le Mans challenger recreate the look of the ‘Black Beauty’.
Subsequently, each round of the championship will feature drivers from Japan and New Zealand with Nobu joined by Masataka Yanagida, Nick Cassidy and Dan Gaunt.
Cassidy is unable to compete in the opening round due to his commitments in Super GT Japan – where he is aiming for the championship – and his seat will be taken by Yanagida, who will also sub for Nobu Yamanaka at Sepang.
“I’m pleased to come back to Asian Le Mans Series in 2019/20 with Eurasia Racing New Zealand. It is so exciting to team up with Daniel Gaunt and Masataka Yanagida for the opening event in Shanghai and stepping up to the LMP2 class. Nick Cassidy will join the team after the first round, so I’m looking forward to the forthcoming season with the team.”
- 2019 – Currently second in Super Formula Japan – Vantelin Team TOM’s
- 2018 – P2 Super GT Series GT500 – Lexus Team KeePer TOM’S
- 2018 – P2 Super Formula – Kondo Racing
- 2017 – Champion Super GT Series GT500 – Lexus Team KeePer TOM’S
- 2016 – P4 FIA Formula 3 Europe – Premat Powerteam
- 2015 – Champion Formula 3 Japan – Petronas Team TOM’S
“It’s always nice to drive new cars and test in a low-pressure atmosphere when getting know a new team and drivers. For me it’s my first time in LMP2 but looking forward to driving with Nobu, Masa and Daniel this season. It should be a lot of fun and I hope to be able to help them out wherever I can with my experience.”
- 2018 – P1 Bathurst 12H GT3 Cup – Grove Motorsport
- 2018 – P3 Mount Panorama Production Sports Car
- 2017 – P1 Bathurst 12H GT3 Pro-Am
- 2017 – Porsche Carrera Cup Australia
- 2011 – V8 Supercars
- 2008 – P3 Porsche GT3 Cup
- 2006 – Champion Toyota Racing Series New Zealand
“The recent test was great, and it was nice to have two solid days alongside Nobu, Nick, Masa and the rest of the Eurasia Team. I feel prepared and ready for the first round in Shanghai and extremely privileged to have the opportunity to race with such a great package.”
- 2016 – P3 Asian Le Mans Series – Team AAI
- 2012 – Champion Super GT Japan GT500 – Nissan GTR Mola
- 2011 – Champion Super GT Japan GT500 – Nissan GTR Mola
- 2010 – Champion Super GT Japan GT300 – Nissan GTR Hasemi Motor Sport
- 2003 – Champion Super GT Japan GT300 – Nissan GTR Hasemi Motor Sport
“I was very happy to drive my first LMP2 in the tests! The high downforce machine was fun and obviously quick, and it was a very successful test. I’m really looking forward to racing with Nobu, Dan and Eurasia Motorsport in Shanghai!”